- Clary: So what's with that 'hey' thing?
- Simon: What 'hey' thing?
- Clary: The 'hey' thing that guys always do. Like when you saw Jace and Alec, you said 'hey, ' and they said 'hey' back. What's wrong with 'hello'?
- Simon: 'Hello' is girly. Real men are terse. Laconic.
- Clary: So the more manly you are, the less you say?
- Simon: Right. That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, 'I am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass, ' but they don't say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain.
“I spent a great deal of my life being ignored. I was always very happy that way. Being ignored is a great privilege. That is how I think I learnt to see what others do not see and to react to situations differently. I simply looked at the world, not really prepared for anything.” —Saul Leiter